Thursday, January 16, 2014

A Few Updates



Well, it has certainly been quite some time since the database launched – I hadn’t planned on such a busy summer and fall. I suppose I was a little “burnt out” after doing the original work, but I wanted to let everyone know about a couple of updates and some changes coming up in the future.

I updated 1948 to add the proper date range for the use of the Babe Ruth armband in mid August. I also updated 2012 and added the postseason hat with the postseason patch on it. I had the hat made already but somehow forgot to place it in the original drawing, so it is now in its rightful place. The drawings for 2013 are now up as well. While not the most memorable year performance-wise (considering the injuries not only to ¾ of the starters but even to the backups of the backups, the fact that they still won 85 games and were in contention for a wildcard spot in the last five days of the season is an absolute miracle), on the uni-front, the Yankees honored Mariano Rivera’s retirement with a classy sleeve and hat patch during the final home stand. In addition to league-wide events such as the camouflage uniforms for Memorial Day and the Sandy Hook Memorial patch for the opening series, the Yankees chose to wear their white-billed BP hat on August 9th. Whether or not this will be a recurring practice is yet to be seen; though there have been rumors of all (or a portion of) teams changing their hats to the BP Diamond material for this coming season. Every MLB team, including the Yankees, will also be getting new batting practice jerseys for the 2014 season.

I would also like to take this time to mention Jerry Coleman, who passed away recently at the age of 89. Jerry spent his entire playing career with the Yankees and was the only player to see active combat in both the Second World War and the Korean War as a fighter pilot. Jerry was also the memorable voice of the San Diego Padres for over forty years. He will certainly be missed. It’s unclear at this point if the Yankees will be adding an armband this Year to remember him, but if anyone deserves such an honor its Jerry Coleman.

 Finally, for the past several weeks I have been working on every batting practice uniform worn by the Yankees since the late 70’s. My goal is to get these finished and on the database just in time for Spring Training. Afterwards I’d like to get started on team jackets, sweaters, and other dugout wear. Additionally, I’ve been working on updating subtle changes to the NEW YORK script since 1973. So, hopefully there will be a lot more activity on here as I get things completed, so stay tuned and thanks for all the support I’ve already received.

No comments:

Post a Comment